Smiley Face Blog Responses

I finally sorted out the "smiley face" responses from their different venues: my own Facebook page, My Left-handed Friends and Jung Hearted Pages as well as the comments on my blog. There were 32 respondents, but not everyone did the further short test for folded arms, foot- and eye-dominance and hand position in writing found in The Eye of the Beholder. Also, two people were unable to perceive the happier guy, so our base is down to 30 responders, with 18 who responded fully.



In Julian Jaynes’s test of 1000 people, 80% of right-handers chose "B" and 55% of left-handers chose "A." The “expected” choice for a typically organized brain would be "B" because the right hemisphere would be judging the facial expression by the left side of the face. Jaynes predicted that people who were bodily left-lateralized in every way would be even more likely to chose "A."

In our study of 30 people, 17 or 57% chose "B" and 13 or 43% chose "A."

Out of the 19 people who responded fully, 10 were right-handed and 9 were left-handed.

Of these 9 left-handers, 4 were left-lateralized across the board. Yet, 2 picked "A" and 2 picked "B." The "A" pickers would be judging the face with their left hemispheres, as Jaynes predicted, with hemispheric functions presumably switched; whereas the "B" pickers, me included, would be using their right hemisphere for facial recognition as well as for language.

Of the 10 right-handers, only 2 were right lateralized across the board. One picked "A" (atypically) and the other "B."

I don’t know what conclusions we can draw from these results other than the fact that there is a fair amount of mixed dominance amongst my friends, virtual or otherwise. In addition to questioning that the extremely left lateralized would more likely pick "A," as Jaynes had said, I wanted to test the conclusion of the Scientific American Mind article that people with right-hemispheric dominance were more likely to believe in or experience paranormal phenomena (see again The Eye of the Beholder). Only two spoke up here: one was left-handed and the other mixed, adding left-handed me, that makes 3. So far so good. Are there any more of you out there???


3 comments:

powerastro guru said...

It’s actually a nice and helpful piece of information. I am satisfied that you simply shared this useful information with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing. mantra for love back forever

French said...

I'm left handed female. I've had many spiritual, or paranormal experiences through out my life. I've been writing songs and poetry since I can remember. My left eye is open bigger than my right. I crossed my right arm on top of my left, I step with my left foot and play sports with my left hand and foot. I looked at the circle through my right eye and don't curl when eating or writing.

Right Mind Matters said...

Hi French, You sound almost completely right-hemisphere dominant to me. When you say your right arm is on top, is it tucked in? The important thing is which hand sticks up. If neither does, it shows some bilaterality (along with the right eye dominance). Thanks for sharing about your paranormal/spiritual experiences. I'm not surprised! Makes life interesting, no?